28 Feb 2021

From my History of Architecture Notes - Greek & Roman Gods

Recently, I was digging my book shelves for some old reference books when I found my notes from college days. It dates back from the year -1998 when I was pursuing my studies in Architecture. The notes includes timelines, sketches, brief writings on architectural styles from the past. I had made some of these notes during our live sessions with our professor who taught us History of Architecture, but most of them were made later when I would spend a few hours at our college library making notes from the book 'History of Architecture' by Sir Bannister Fletcher. 

I thought this was an interesting find, so I took the liberty to post some of these notes while I have some time in hand, hoping that it will help somebody out there who is searching for some information on History of Architecture. 

This post includes a brief on Greek and Roman Gods, for these revered figures were represented in the major architectural buildings in that era.  

I thought this was an interesting find and may help those of you who are looking for some information on Greek and Roman Figures and their influence on Architectural buildings.

Cover page of my History of Architecture Notes

The Greeks consecrated temples for these major Gods focusing on the exterior beauty rather than on the interiors. While the Romans followed and built temples for Gods too, they also began to build structures for their citizens including gathering areas like amphitheatres, bathhouses, etc. and utilitarian structures like bridges, aqueducts, roads, etc. 

Below is a snapshot from my notes on the Greek and Roman Gods. The twelve olympians include: Zeus, Hera, Apollo, Athena, Poseidon, Dionysos, Demeter, Artemis, Hermes, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, and Ares.

From my Notes - Greek and Roman Gods

For those of you who find my handwriting illegible, here's an updated list of the same.

List of Greek & Roman Gods

The list may not be comprehensive, and may have excluded some revered figures. If you find more you can add to the list. 

I hope to post more from my notes and I hope that this will be useful for those aspiring students of architecture and for anyone who wants to learn about history of architecture.

Thank you for stopping by...

Have a good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment