8 Jan 2017

Some Cartoon faces: Pencil Sketches

This month our sketching class is focused on learning to draw cartoons. As I was teaching my little students the basics of the cartoon sketching, they were very keen to draw different Disney Cartoon characters on the first day itself. I didn't want to discourage them by saying that it will be difficult to make a start with and that too on the first day itself. So based on popular choice, I put a quick sketch of the Mickey Mouse face in front of them and asked them to attempt it step by step. The little kids realized it was not so easy and they were stuck at the very first step itself. So I had to draw a circle for them with a grid in the center and then I asked them to proceed. 
Rough Sketch of Mickey Mouse
The next day, I thought if the kids wish to draw some cartoons I should put a few examples in front of them, just as a starting point or reference. Hence, I got down with my pencil and sketchpad and made a few rough sketches of the following cartoons: Ben 10, Chota Bheem, Ash Ketchum, Garfield, Bugs Bunny and so on...

Generally, when I sketch a cartoon face, I prefer to start by making a circle with a horizontal and vertical grid that acts a reference point to place the eyes. Next follows the placement of the other details like the nose, mouth, hairs etc. step by step. 
Beginning of a Cartoon Face - The Art Hours Way!
Here, are some Cartoon faces I sketched last week. They are drawn using a simple HB pencil with minimal lines. For every sketch that I drew I used a rough circle with a grid to start with, and then added the details like eyes, hair, etc. You will notice in every sketch below, I have not erased the reference grid lines that served as the starting point.
Ben 10 
Chota Bheem
Ash Ketchum from Pokemon series 
Mowgli from the Jungle Book
Hello Kitty
Garfield 
Bugs Bunny 
Minion
All these are rough sketches and surely they have ample scope for improvement. All I wished to convey through this post is that sketching cartoons is not so difficult. However, every line has a meaning, and a little change in the position of a line, placement of the details, scale, and proportion, can impact your sketch in a great way. Hence, observe and practice. 

Keep learning and exploring the Art Hours way!

Till then Happy Cartooning.
---

No comments:

Post a Comment