4 Mar 2021

From my History of Architecture Notes - Aegean Architecture

 

Everybody knows about Greek and the Romans and their influences on Art and Architecture. But before the dawn of Ancient Greece there was a vibrant Neolithic and then the Bronze age society that flourished in several different cultures found along the Aegean sea. It was established around 6000 BC, centered on several Cycladic Island off the southeast coast of Greece. They were home to farmers and seafaring traders and their inhabitants began to use local stone to create the famous Cycladic figures of musicians, fortified towns and burial mounds. Several of these islands had quarries of white marble that later began to be used in Ancient Greece buildings.

From around 3000 BC, another Bronze age culture thrived on much larger island of Crete which developed into Minoan Civilization. The Minoan people are name after their ruler – King Minos, who is described in Homer’s epic tales as ruling from his palace in the ancient city of Knossos. This palace dated from @1900 BC - 1100 BC was discovered by the archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann who located the site and then Arthur Evans who subsequently discovered and excavated the site. 

Here's what I found from my notes:

history notes aegean architecture
From my notes - Page 01

History Notes Aegean Architecture
From my notes - Page 02

History notes Aegean Architecture
From my notes - Page 03


Hope you can understand my handwriting. Some of it may be illegible as it was probably taken down hurriedly in the library in between two classes. Forgive me for that!

However, I hope it was an interesting read and you find the information useful in some way.

I plan to post more about the History of Greek and Roman Architecture in the coming days. Keep visiting this blog.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a great day ahead!






No comments:

Post a Comment