18 Jan 2017

Calligraphy and Watercolors: Some Experiments

Since, the last few days, I have been experimenting a little with calligraphy and watercolors - both demanding an equal amount of patience and love. Patience because you cannot achieve good calligraphy skills in a day - it requires a lot of practice and, love for the art form because if you don't love something you will not give your 100% to it. Similarly, though the results of watercolors look beautiful, it is not such an easy medium to deal with, especially when you combine it with calligraphy. Nevertheless, it is worth giving it a try. 
Calligraphy and Watercolors - Some Experiments

Generally, calligraphy with watercolors is done using a paintbrush only to transfer the watercolors onto the pen nib, and it is with the nib that you finally do the lettering work. However, I wanted to try calligraphy with the paint brush itself, hence the task became all the more difficult - call it the Art Hours way. Also, it has always been the Art Hours mission to do things differently, to try new things and explore further so it had to be the paintbrush instead of the nib.

For my experiment of calligraphy with watercolors, I have used a zero number paintbrush for calligraphy. Sometimes I have just used a single color, while sometimes I have tried using a combination of two colors. I have worked on an A5 size printer paper which is again not an ideal medium to use for watercolors since it bleeds more when you use watercolors. I would suggest using a better quality of paper to work with especially when you are using watercolors.

 Experiments with Watercolors and Calligraphy

Here, are the result of the experiments, I tried while combining calligraphy and watercolors, from the first to last in the order I attempted them. 

 "You're the Best" in Black  

"Enjoy the little things" in Black

"Thank you" in Black

"Thank you" in Red and yellow

"Thank you" in Black

"Grow Love" in Red

"You Deserve Love" in Blue and Green
Since there is nobody better than yourself to judge your work, I am my own judge and critic. So, full marks go to the thought and idea, but the result was not something great or outstanding...

Lesson learned: Need to practice more...there's a lot of scope for improvement.

You always learn from mistakes...at least it motivates me to do better!

If you try this technique do leave your comments below. 

---

No comments:

Post a Comment