14 Mar 2017

Origami Poinsettias


This month we are doing a lot of water coloring exercises with our students at Art Hours. Although water coloring is immensely fun to work with, Origami is something I cannot keep myself apart from for a long time...so it was just a couple of days back when I was working with Origami Camellias and this week I gave a try to Origami Poinsettia flowers. They took a lot of time to make but the result was so beautiful that I made an Origami Mosaic with some more origami poinsettias. 

Poinsettias are actually known for its red and green foliage but are not flowers as you would have thought. The red part that you see are actually modified leaves. Well, I will not bore you with more facts. You can surely find more such details about the plant on the internet.

These origami poinsettias are based on the modular origami concept, wherein two separate units are made and assembled by inserting into pockets. No glue has been used for assembling it.

Below is the origami poinsettia made from two parts. The green leaves are made using 8" square and the red part is made from 6" square paper. The final size of the model is 10" x 10".

Poinsettia Red

I made some more poinsettias and assembled it without any glue again. The Origami Mosaic that you see below is made using 9 square sheets of paper. The outer four big leaves are made from 6" square and the inner five smaller units are made from 4" square papers.

Origami Mosaic with Poinsettias 

Origami Mosaic with Poinsettias 

Poinsettias are popular Christmas decorations and are used to decorate homes, Churches, and offices. I haven't seen the foliage for real but a quick search on the internet showed that the origami model is a good resemblance of the original flower. The above model that I made is a slight modification from the original design, which uses three modular units, while I have used only 2 modular units. I plan to use it for home decor.

For more details on the design of this origami model, you can visit artisbellus.com which has many diagrams for single sheet origami folding models.

Thankyou for visiting this blog.
---

No comments:

Post a Comment